Northwestern University Visiting Scholarships for Puerto Rican Scholars - Call for Applications
The Weinberg College of Arts and Sciences and the Provost’s Office, in collaboration with the Latin American and Caribbean Studies Program and the Latina and Latino Studies Program at Northwestern University, announce six Visiting Scholar positions in 2018 for scholars whose work has been disrupted by Hurricane Maria in Puerto Rico. Given the devastation of the infrastructure across the island, Northwestern University offers funding, time, and space that can be devoted to scholarly work/writing. Our goal is to support our colleagues in Puerto Rico during this time of crisis.
RESIDENCIES AT NORTHWESTERN UNIVERSITY FOR PUERTO RICAN SCHOLARS:
The Latin American and Caribbean Studies Program and the Latina and Latino Studies Program will be considering applications for six 10-week (one academic quarter) residencies at Northwestern University in Evanston, Illinois.
- These are intended for advanced doctoral candidates or faculty who are formally affiliated with a Puerto Rican college or university (as of September, 2017)
- Intended for scholars in the Humanities and Social Sciences
Description of Residency:
- Each scholar will be provided assistance of $5,000 in living expenses to cover travel, lodging, and meals
- Northwestern will also provide an office space in either a communal space or in a shared office space with a desk and access to fax, copying, scanning, and library facilities
- Scholars will choose Winter or Spring quarter for residency; (Winter: January 1, 2018 thru March 31, 2018; or Spring: April 1, 2018 thru June 30, 2018)
- See https://research.northwestern.edu/sites/research/files/policies/researchvisitorspolicy.pdf for relevant NU policies
Instructions to submit Application:
- An updated CV, including contact information (email address and phone number)
- A one page statement describing your current situation of displacement, the need for the time and space for continuing your research and/or academic work, and how you will benefit from this residency. How will your current scholarly work benefit from the residency? What are your goals?
- Please specify the institution in Puerto Rico with which you are affiliated, the nature of that affiliation (advanced graduate student, post-doctoral researcher, faculty), and the length of your affiliation.
- Please identify the department in Northwestern’s College of Arts and Sciences that most closely aligns with your research.
- Include what you expect to contribute to Puerto Rico (or its rebuilding) after you return from the residency.
DEADLINE: Friday, December 1, 2017. Please submit as attachment through email to: Latinaoemail@example.com. If you have any questions, please contact Carlos Ballinas at firstname.lastname@example.org or Bianca Jiménez at email@example.com.Back to top