LACS students are strongly encouraged to study abroad in a Latin American or Caribbean country. The University offers a variety of opportunities for students. The Latin American and Caribbean Studies program also offers competitive funding for summer research projects in the region.
Policy for transferring credit to the LACS Program:
Students are strongly encouraged to seek advising from the LACS director prior to leaving so students know the program's policy and receive help in course selection.
When students return to Northwestern, they should make an appointment with the LACS director and bring the following materials:
- Syllabi from courses*,
- Major course work (papers, tests, presentations, journals, etc.)*,
- Course descriptions,
- Notebooks if possible to better clarify the course material,
- Petition For Credit for Courses Taken Abroad* (print this form and bring it to your advising appointment)
- A copy of your transcript from your school abroad*
*the most important materials to bring back
This way, the advisor can see what was taught in totality, plus the Dean's office will also require these materials. Sometimes students can only bring limited work back, like a journal. Students should bring back as much as possible. For a detailed description of the credit transfer process please visit the study abroad website.
Current Northwestern programs in the Americas:
Global Engagement Studies Institute (GESI):
Latin American sites: Argentina/Bolivia, Costa Rica, and Guatemala
GESI is a unique, credit-bearing program that combines service-learning, study abroad, cultural immersion, and invaluable international work experience at dynamic, community-based organizations. The GESI sites offer incredible opportunities for students interested in public health, preserving the environment, microfinance, human rights, education, and more.
- Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile Exchange
- Public Health in Mexico
- Universidad San Francisco de Quito
- Pontifica Universidad Catolica de Peru
- Middlebury School in Brazil: Niteroi